The "Hampton Springs Hotel or Club" burned down in 1954. Once labeled "Dixie's Famous Spa". The hotel was very popular in the early 1900s, when Taylor County boomed due to the intersection of several railroads. The hotel was visited by Theodore Roosevelt, and even royalty from the far east. They came to swim in the sulphur swimming pool that fed from a spring adjacent to the creek (created by the junction of Spring Creek and Rocky Creek) which fed into the Fenholloway River just downstream. Text and photographs is this book (circa 1927) show the hotel during the early 1900s.